3 Surprising Places Pests Hide in Your Hotel
Rooms Aren’t the Only Place Your Guests See Pests
Clean, comfortable guest rooms are the mainstay of your South Louisiana or Mississippi Gulf Coast hotel, and that’s where many pest control companies focus. But there are other areas that pests are attracted to, and a clean room doesn’t make up for infestations in other areas.
Make sure you aren’t overlooking these three places you may not be expecting pests.
1. Vending Areas: A Great Place to Grab a Snack
Hotel vending areas can be overlooked as a hotspot for pests, especially cockroaches and ants. Leaking ice machines provide moisture, while discarded food wrappers and beverage containers offer enticing eats. To keep vending areas free of infestations:
- Regularly clean up garbage and spills
- Repair leaks
- Mop – not all residue is visible and the smallest amount of food attracts insects
- Clean and disinfect trash receptacles
2. Pool/spa: Warm Comfortable Temperatures Invite Flying Insects
Whether your hotel pool/spa area is indoors or outdoors, humidity attracts flying insects. Indoor pools often attract roaches, while outdoor areas also have to deal with the threat of other flying insects like wasps, bees, and mosquitoes. While they’re all a nuisance, recent Zika virus fears mean many guests are being especially cautious around biting insects.
Traditional mosquito and flying insect control methods work well in these areas, but prevention is also important for long-term success.
- Eliminate standing water
- Ensure drains are well-maintained to prevent mosquitoes from breeding
- Designated, frequently cleaned food and drink areas minimize the attraction of spills and waste
3. Laundry: Toasty Nooks and Crannies Make a Cozy Home for Rodents
The laundry room might seem like a clean, fresh part of your hotel, but it has some surprising attractions for rodents and cockroaches. Besides being warm and having lots of nooks and crannies to hang out, lint contains microscopic bacteria that roaches like to eat. Rodents can easily nest behind warm machines, using that same lint!
Regularly scheduled deep cleanings ensure there’s no place to hide in your laundry room:
- Clean behind, under, and around machines, moving them periodically to check for pests
- Remove lint and debris daily
- Repair leaks
- Clean drains – standing water is a no-no
Choose a Pest Control Expert Who Knows Hotels
When choosing a pest control provider, make sure you find one who is experienced with the unique pest issues of South Louisiana hotels and motels. Each area of your hospitality property has unique pest problems that can be addressed with proper prevention and regular hotel pest control service. If you have questions about pest control at your hotel or motel, contact us.
3 Surprising Places Pests Hide in Your Hotel In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi