5 Tips to Prepare Your Home for Termite Season
If you live in Louisiana, then you are probably aware of how damaging termites can be. As a matter of fact, Louisiana is a state that has one of the biggest problems with termite infestations, and it is an issue that pest control companies are always being called on to address. To prevent the damage that termites can cause, it is important for homeowners to take steps to protect the home from termite infestation. When it comes to guarding against this damage, one of the most important considerations is preparation for the termite season. Below you will find 5 tips to prepare your home for termite season.
Since termites are active year round, there is the potential for them to cause damage at any time of the year. When a pest control expert talks about termite season, they are actually referring to the time of year when termites swarm. However, the time of year that termites will swarm depends on the types of termites that you are talking about, and the climate in the given region.
In Louisiana, termites generally swarm during the spring and fall. If you are talking about Formosan termites, the swarms are nighttime events that generally occur in the late spring and early summer. Depending on how cold or long the winter is, the eastern subterranean termite will usually swarm in the months from February to May.
Depending on the weather conditions, termite season can run from February to November. However, the heavier part of the swarming season is going to be the spring. The activity when the swarms occur will be most noticeable by seeing the alates, or winged termites, and the discarded wings or droppings. When the swarms are active, it is a very common to see the termites flying around lights due to their attraction to light sources.
How to Prepare
As mentioned above, a big part of protecting the home from termite damage is prevention. Once there is an infestation, they can cause some serious damage, and they can be really difficult to get rid of. In the prevention of termite infestation, one of the keys is preparing the home for the termite season. Here is how you can do so:
- Eliminate Sources of Food: Termites live off cellulose and the more wood that you have around the home, the more likely termites are going to be able to set up a colony. A homeowner should remove non-living source of wood from the property. If you have an old stump in the yard, it needs to be removed. A pile of firewood can make a great home for termites. Things like landscaping wood and mulch can also be very inviting to termite swarmers.
- Treat the Soil and Foundation Before Building: If you are building a new home, it is a good opportunity to provide the structure with additional protection by having the soil and foundation treated before the home is built. Some homeowners will forgo this step because of the cost, but it provides your home with a valuable form of protection. It can save you a great deal when you compare it to the financial costs that can come with a termite infestation.
- Seal out any Moisture: Just like any other animal, termites need water to live. When the home and soil have enough moisture to support a colony, it becomes a prime location for an infestation. Try to keep water away from the foundation of the home by having good downspouts and gutters. Additionally, you want to make sure that your home water pipes are in good shape.
- Remove brush around the house: Plant growth will make a good environment for termites and when you have brush and bushes close to the home, it does expose the structure to additional risk. You should try to keep this brush and vegetation away from the structure.
- Contact a Professional: Scheduling an inspection can be one of the best ways to protect against termite damage. To the untrained eye, it may appear as if there is no problem, but a professional knows what to look for and all of the places to check. For most people, by the time the infestation is identifiable, it has already caused a significant amount of damage. Getting an inspection once every two years is relatively inexpensive, and it could save you a significant amount of money if the problem is caught early.
Louisiana is a state that suffers a particular high rate of termite infestation. If you own a home here, then it is important that you do what you can to protect the home from these insects. If you need termite control services or would like to schedule an inspection, the team at Presto-X “Formerly Fischer” is here to help. Contact us today!
5 Tips to Prepare Your Home for Termite Season In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi