Facts & Myths About Bed Bugs
It’s officially Bed Bug Awareness Week! With more people making summer traveling plans in the coming months, now is the time to learn more about these pests and the threats they pose. Because bed bugs incite so much fear in people, it’s important to know how to separate the facts from the myths. Here at Presto-X, formerly Fischer, we know that bed bug problems are any homeowner’s worst nightmare. For that reason, we want to dispel common myths about bed bugs and their habits–keep reading to learn more!
10 Myths About Bed Bugs
As a pest control company, we receive a lot of questions about pests and their behaviors. Here are some of the most common misinformed questions about bed bugs:
- Do bed bugs only feed at night?
- No! Bed bugs are active when their hosts are at rest. This has led many people to think they’re nocturnal, but they actually can feed at any time of the day.
- Can bed bugs infest areas of your home other than your bedroom?
- Yes, they can! Although bedrooms are common targets, they can congregate in living areas near sofas, furniture, cracks in the wall, and more.
- Can you see adult bed bugs without a magnifying glass?
- Nymphs are nearly impossible to see due to their size and translucent color. However, adult bed bugs are the size of an apple seed and can definitely be seen, especially since they group together!
- Should you throw away infested mattresses or furniture?
- No! In fact, you shouldn’t move infested furniture in the midst of an infestation. Doing so can contribute to bed bugs spreading into other areas.
- Do bed bug bites transmit disease?
- Thankfully, no. Bed bug bites may be itchy and leave a red mark on your skin, but their bites do not transmit dangerous diseases as mosquitoes do.
- Are bed bugs capable of living for months without feeding?
- Yes, but it’s unlikely for them to live for a year unless they are in the most optimal conditions. Young bed bugs need to feed more often than adults.
- Do bed bugs latch onto or burrow into your skin?
- No, bed bugs do not latch onto humans or animals in the way that fleas and ticks do. After feeding, they will retreat back to their hiding places.
- Are bed bugs more likely to infest messy homes?
- This is one of the biggest myths. Anyone is prone to a bed bug problem, regardless of whether or not your home is clean.
- Do bed bugs fly or jump?
- No! Unlike fleas and ticks, bed bugs can only crawl from one place to another. This is mostly due to their underdeveloped wings.
- Can you get rid of bed bugs with DIY methods?
- Getting rid of bed bugs always requires the help of a professional pest control company. DIY or all-natural methods may just make the problem worse.
Need Help With Bed Bugs?
If you’ve done all you can to prevent bed bugs and still have a problem, it’s best to call the experts at Presto-X. Our team has the experience needed to not only get rid of any active infestations, but prevent future ones from happening. Contact our team today to learn more!
Facts & Myths About Bed Bugs In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi