How to Get Rid of Overwintering Pests
Every year, there are several types of pests that look to get inside your property before the weather gets cold. These pests are called overwintering pests and include squirrels, bats, rodents, raccoons, and more. Especially in SE Louisiana, these pests or wild animals will gladly take up residence in your attic or crawl space until spring rolls around. This makes it very important to incorporate pest prevention and wildlife exclusion tactics to prevent and get rid of these pests.
Keep reading for Presto-X’s top tips to preventing overwintering pests in your home this year.
Overwintering Pests To Look Out For
If you start to notice noises coming from your attic, there’s a chance you have uninvited guests up there. The most common ones we deal with here in Virginia include:
- House mice: These mice prefer secluded areas and will look to nest in your attic using insulation and other stored items for shelter.
- Roof rats: Just as their name suggests, roof rats can squeeze their way indoors and up to the attic.
- Bats: Big brown bats will roost in an attic and use it as their cave. Their presence causes a lot of mess to clean up.
- Raccoons: Raccoons are strong climbers and can make their way into your attic to escape dropping temperatures outside.
- Squirrels: The attic is the perfect place for squirrels to burrow and hide out the colder months of the year.
Getting Rid of Overwintering Pests
To get rid of overwintering pests, you need to learn how to prevent them in the first place. Trim overhanging tree branches, overgrown bushes, and vines away from your home to limit roof access to pests. In addition, secure your chimney with a chimney cap, and install wire mesh over any vents or roof openings. If you keep your garbage cans outdoors, make sure to keep them secure with tight-fitting lids. Lastly, keep everything organized in plastic bins in your attic. Look for gaps or openings and seal them with steel wool or caulk. All of these efforts should greatly reduce the chances of pests getting into your attic
Need Help With Pests This Winter?
As soon as you suspect pests in your attic or home, it’s time to call a professional. Getting rid of overwintering pests can be difficult, which is why you should always use a professional. For more information, contact the pest control experts at Presto-X, formerly Fischer Environmental today.
How to Get Rid of Overwintering Pests In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi