Summertime Mosquito Prevention Tips
Summertime in Louisiana and Mississippi is something many look forward to. Unfortunately, mosquito problems are at their worst this time of year. With our humid weather and rising temperatures, mosquito season is officially beginning. Mosquitoes of course are a nuisance, but they can be dangerous, too. While the diseases they spread are rare, it’s still important to do what you can to keep mosquitoes away from your yard. By making your property less appealing to mosquitoes, you can prevent mosquito breeding and bites this summer. Keep reading to learn the best mosquito prevention tips from the experts at Presto-X “formerly Fischer”.
How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Your Yard
Mosquitoes are very attracted to standing water, and will breed anywhere they find a source. Some of the best things you can do to keep mosquitoes away from your yard include:
- Eliminate standing water. Get rid of standing water in buckets, flower pots, bird baths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to breed!
- Consider getting fish for ponds and agitating the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. In addition, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Place screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Keep a tidy yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Install fans. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
Mosquito Bite Prevention Tips
Mosquito bites are a fact of life in the summer. Some people are more prone to being bitten than others, but there are several things everyone can do to lessen the chances of a bite:
- To the best of your ability, avoid going outdoors at dusk and dawn, which is when mosquitoes are most active.
- When you do go outdoors in the summer, make sure to wear light-colored clothing. If possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants to keep your skin protected.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, apply an EPA-registered insect repellent containing DEET. Always consult your pediatrician before use on children.
Need Mosquito Control?
Once you have them, it can be overwhelming to deal with mosquitoes. If the aforementioned mosquito prevention tips did not prevent an infestation in your yard, it’s time to call the experts at Presto-X. Our team of mosquito exterminators will work with you to keep mosquitoes out with repellents, exclusion efforts, and more. Contact us today to learn more!
Summertime Mosquito Prevention Tips In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi