Fischer Environmental encourages homeowners to take proactive steps to eliminate ants
There is one houseguest that no one wants, but nearly everyone gets – ants. And as the weather continues to warm, this pest will begin marching one-by-one indoors. Fischer Environmental encourages homeowners to take the necessary steps to prevent ants from ruining their summer fun.
A recent study of pest professionals, conducted by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has revealed that ants are the No. 1 nuisance pest in the United States and often become a problem during the warmer months as they venture indoors to look for food.
Unfortunately, ants are more than just a household annoyance. “This pest can pose health risks and cause extensive property damage once inside the home
Odorous ants are known to contaminate food sources and carpenter ants can tunnel through wood to build nests inside structures. Luckily, a mixture of IPM tactics can effectively prevent and manage most infestations.
Experts from the NPMA recommend the following tips to avoid ant infestations:
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water near a home.
- Keep tree branches and other shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches from the ground.
- Keep food in sealed containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep pet food and water dishes clean and remove any spilled food.
If you suspect an ant infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to identify the species and recommend a course of treatment. For more information, please visit www.fischerenv.com