Pests lead to fire

June 5, 2012By 0 Comments

Pests lead to fire

Informal pest control got out of hand in a Walnut Grove house, and sparked a call to the fire department

By Matthew Claxton

Firefighters from three Langley Township halls worked to douse a fire in a Walnut Grove home Tuesday.

Firefighters from three Langley Township halls worked to douse a fire in a Walnut Grove home Tuesday.
Photograph by: Heather Colpitts , Langley Advance

A desire to get rid of rats or mice apparently led to a fire that damaged a Walnut Grove home Tuesday evening.

Langley Township firefighters were called out at about 6: 24 p.m. to a home in the 9000 block of 207A Street, said assistant fire chief Bruce Ferguson.

The fire apparently started accidentally when someone in the house tried to smoke out some rodents.

“It got out of hand,” Ferguson said. Crews from three firehalls, in Walnut Grove, Willoughby, and Fort Langley got the fire under control quickly and saved the majority of the home, Ferguson said. However, he estimated that as much as $80,000 to $100,000 damage had been done to the structure. The fire was getting into the attic when firefighters arrived.

No one was hurt in the blaze.

Read more: http://www.langleyadvance.com/news/Pests+lead+fire/6705872/story.html#ixzz1ws9HOzIi

Filed in: Pests lead to fire Tags: