Best Mousetrap Tips
Mouse infestations are any homeowner’s worst nightmare. Not only are they gross, but they make a mess with their habits! Mice leave foul droppings, gnaw through wires, and tear through insulation and papers. Needless to say, it’s important to act quickly when you notice mice inside your property. Mousetraps are a common mice extermination method that have varying degrees of success. It’s important to learn how to set one properly—read on to learn the best mousetrap tips from the experts at Presto-X.
What Mousetraps Work Best?
Several mousetraps exist, from electronic and glue traps to catch-and-release traps. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. The most popular and commonly used mousetrap is a spring-loaded one, which has been around for decades. This classic design is the same one you likely see in the media, and there’s a reason why they’re so popular: they work! When set up properly, mousetraps can be very effective!
Spring-loaded mousetraps are placed in areas of suspected rodent activity with bait. When the spring mechanism is triggered, the metal bar will quickly snap to catch the mouse in place.
How to Bait a Mousetrap Properly
When it comes to setting up a mousetrap, there are several things to keep in mind. The best mousetrap tips we can share with you include:
- Using mousetrap bait effectively
- Despite what popular culture may have led you to believe, mice don’t always like cheese.
- You only need to use a small amount of bait that cannot be reached unless mice step on the trap. If they can swipe it without standing on the trap, they will!
- Starting with unloaded mousetraps
- Mice are extremely skeptical of new things, especially human things!
- Try setting traps with bait (without loading them) for a couple of nights. This will trick mice into a false sense of security.
- Setting more than one trap
- By setting more than one trap at a time (each two to three feet apart), you have a better chance at catching as many mice as possible at once.
- Placing mousetraps strategically
- Don’t just place traps anywhere. Mice travel along walls, under furniture, and other places that offer cover.
- Place the side of the trap with the bait nearest the wall.
- Regularly checking the mousetraps for efficiency
- It takes diligence—and patience—to make sure traps are working, set, and not going to waste.
- Mice will occasionally grab bait without setting off the trap. They can also set the trap off without getting caught!
Your Mousetraps Didn’t Work—Now What?
Mousetraps are a popular and oftentimes effective way to control a mice infestation. But that doesn’t always mean you’ve rid yourself of mice forever! If you’re still dealing with rodents in your home or business despite following the best practices, it’s time to call the mice exterminators at Presto-X, formerly Fischer. Give us a call to learn more of the best mousetrap tips or to set up a rodent control appointment today!
Best Mousetrap Tips In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi