It’s Rodent Season: 5 Ways to Prevent Rats & Mice
Rodent Awareness Week is underway, making it the perfect opportunity to protect your home from rats and mice. During the fall, rodents infamously make their way indoors as they escape the cooling temperatures outside in the search for shelter and food. Even worse, they are known to be able to squeeze through holes the size of a dime, which is why it’s so important to implement rodent exclusion tactics throughout your property. Because rodents can carry filth and disease, the best way to keep your family safe from rodents this season is to stop them from getting in!
5 Steps to Rodent-Proof Your Home
No homeowner wants to see a rat or mouse running across the floor in their home, but it happens more than you think in the fall. Rodents can spread disease through their feces, making it important to know how to keep them out of your home:
- Inspect your property for cracks or holes. Locate and patch up any crevices or gaps in your foundation, doors, and windows.
- Install secure screens over chimneys and vents. Properly cover your vent systems and chimney to avoid rodents making their way in
- Properly store all food. Store your food in airtight containers and clean up spills after meals. Crumbs and open containers will attract rodents!
- Keep a clean, mess-free home. Rodents are a big fan of clutter, and are attracted to messy basements and attics. Routinely tidy up your property.
- Cut back tree limbs and landscape. Rodents are great climbers and may make use of tree limbs to access your home. Make sure vegetation is kept away from the foundation of your property.
Signs You Already Have Rats
Another important step to avoid rodent infestations is to know the early signs that you may already have a problem. Rats and mice aren’t exactly stealthy creatures, and make their presence known in various ways. The typical indicators of a rodent problem include rat droppings, gnaw marks, chewed-through wires, nests or nesting materials, burrows or tunnels, runways or tracks, and a foul odor caused by their urine or feces. If you notice any of these signs, it’s likely time to call a professional for help!
How to Get Rid of Rodents
If you’ve done all you can to exclude rats and mice from your property but have still seen them in or around your home, it’s time to call a professional for help. An expert pest control company such as Presto-X can determine the source of your rodent problem and work to make sure you do not have to deal with rats and mice ever again!
It’s Rodent Season: 5 Ways to Prevent Rats & Mice In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi