Prevent Pantry Pests in 5 Steps
The holiday season is here, which means it’s time for baking! Unfortunately, it’s also the time of year when many people discover pantry pests. These insects are known to infest flour, cake mixes, grains, sugar, and more—especially when these items aren’t properly sealed. Indianmeal moths, confused flour beetles, ants, earwigs, and pillbugs are just a few of the most common stored product pests that invade homes in Southeast Louisiana.
Pantry Pest Prevention Tips
Pantry pests can be found in all stages of life (egg, larva, pupa, and adult). To prevent pantry pest infestations, there are 5 main things you should do:
- Securely store pantry items: Store dry goods and baking ingredients in airtight containers to prevent pest problems.
- Place bay leaves: Insert a bay leaf inside canisters of dry goods like flour, rice, and other grains. The smell may repel pantry pests.
- Inspect your groceries: Before buying anything at the grocery store, always inspect items for damage or use.
- Check for expiration dates: Regularly look through your pantry and toss any expired items.
- Clean your kitchen and pantry: Promptly clean up spills or messes to avoid attracting pests. Clean out your pantry on a regular basis.
How to Get Rid of Pantry Pests
If it’s too late and you’ve already discovered a pantry pest problem in your home, it’s important to act quickly. To control the pantry pest infestation, throw out all infested food items and anything with signs of damage. Make sure to toss the items in a secure trash can outdoors.
Thoroughly wipe down your entire pantry, including all the shelves. Before re-stocking your pantry, make sure all items are secured in airtight containers.
Controlling Pantry-Raiding Pests
Dealing with pantry pests can be gross for any homeowner. If you’re still noticing the signs of these pests, it’s best to call in a professional exterminator. The team at Presto-X “Formerly Fischer” can remove the infestation from your home and make sure you don’t have to deal with pantry pests in the future.
Prevent Pantry Pests in 5 Steps In Louisiana & Mississippi
Serving all of SE Louisiana and Mississippi